Thu, 20 Oct 2016 15:46:56 -0400
The asterisk is a generic wildcard symbol, it works regardless of who
submits the command.

The effects of a wildcard will be subject to authority level, though.

For example:
  quiet del * *
will take effect only for addresses in lists where the submitter has
authority. A list owner could use it to delete everyone (including their
self, if subscribed) from every list they are owner of - not from all
lists on the system.  But a site administrator must be exceptionally
cautious.

The list owner can do this via the web interface or via email.

There's a help page about this here:
https://answers.syr.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=918494