Jeff Donachy-Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Jul 1996 03:40:09 -0400
***NOTE***:  Reply by email to [log in to unmask], please.

After months of lack of cooperation from my own ISP (they claim to have
Listserv, they claim to offer mailing list services, and they also claim to
have a postmaster - if they do, he/she doesn't answer mail!), I am in search
of a site to host a small Listserv mailing list:

The list already exists in manual form, but as you know, growing numbers of
subscribers tend to make the TO: header look rather hideous!  The list is a
music discussion group pertaining to the activities of the band THE MELVINS.

MELVINS, now based in L.A., San Francisco, and London, England (quite the
commute, eh?), were once based in Seattle, WA, and remain an institution on
the west coast, as they achieved noteriety for being the band who gave Kurt
Cobain his first job as a roadie (thus changing the history of music as we
know it blah blah blah...), and as being one of the slowest and heaviest
bands in the world.

Anyone interested in more MELVINS bio information can visit my MELVINS LAND
website at http://www.hookup.net/~egulphy/melvins.html.  Using a
frames-capable browser (or even a non-frames capable browser, but it doesn't
look as nice), one can access the MELVINS FAQ from this page.

BTW, when I first started my site, I couldn't find any information about the
band on the Internet.  Now there are about a dozen MELVINS devoted sites around.

The general topic for the list is news, discussion, and fan/friend
interaction among people with a computer and an appreciation for the MELVINS.
The logical proposed name for the list would be MELVINS-L, I suppose.
The manual list's current audience is around 75 people, mostly based in the
United States (although I am based in the Great White North).
Presently, message volume is NOT very large, about 10 messages per week, but
this would probably pick up if subscribers had an easier alternative for
sending messages, rather than gettting the most up-to-date list of
subscribers and pasting it in the TO: header of their mail software.
Currently, the list is maintained by myself ([log in to unmask]) and Matt
Buster ([log in to unmask]), and subsciption is available via CGI on my
website at http://www.hookup.net/~egulphy/melmail.html .

One last note:  the band members themselves aren't "net people" but keep in
touch regularly through a few close friends of theirs who subscribe to the
list.  Also worthy of note, a few Atlantic Records employees also partake in
our list.

Thanks (and sorry, if this message went on too long),
Jeff Donachy-Taylor
********Obligatory Site Links Annoying Signature Crap*********
*PAPERLESS COLUMN * http://www.hookup.net/~egulphy/papcol.html
*MELVINS LAND * http://www.hookup.net/~egulphy/melvins.html