Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 09:59:11 EST
On Thu, 2 Nov 1995 16:19:35 -0500 Joan Korenman said:
>        Hi.  I've just started to use the SET [listname] REVIEW feature,
>and I'm delighted to have it.  So far, I haven't been tempted to OK any
>of the postings that were sent to me for review, but it's possible that
>I will want to do that at some point.  However, I'm a little uncertain
>about how the OK procedure works.  If I just reply to the posting, the
>message will not be included.  If I do a "reply/extract" (yes, I'm on a
>VAX/VMS system, though the list runs on VM/CMS), where do I put the OK?
>And what will show when the message is posted to the list?  I would like
>the whole thing to be seamless, so the poster won't even know that his/her
>posting was reviewed.  Is that possible?

Basic concept:  When you set a user to REVIEW, anything that user posts
to the list is intercepted by LISTSERV and placed on hold.  LISTSERV
then sends a command confirmation request to the Moderator of the list
(if no Moderator or Editor is defined, this defaults to the list owner)
saying, if you want this posting to go through, send me an OK.

If you reply to the posting (the command confirmation request) with OK,
LISTSERV will release the posting and process it.  You don't need to send
the original text back.  It's included for your reference to make a
decision as to whether or not the posting should be released.  If you
want to <modify> the text before letting it go through, of course that's
another story entirely.

When the message is released, depending on how you have ACK= set, the
poster will be notified accordingly.  However, note that when the message
is originally put on hold pending the editor's OK, a message is sent to
the effect that "Your message has been referred to the moderator of
the LISTNAME list" or something close to that.  I don't have one in
front of me at the moment to quote from :).

I can clarify this more in the manual, but remember that I labor under
the sometimes-blinding situation where I think "gee, <everybody> knows
<that>."  It takes someone saying "Hey, stupid, wake up and quit being
obtuse," to make me see that sometimes.  :)  Something tells me that
every writer of manuals gets into that corner from time to time. :))

Just for further reference, if you have a comment or complaint about
the manual, please feel free to write to [log in to unmask]  I'll see
it along with several others on the staff.  I really <do> listen to
feedback.  :))

Nathan