Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:57:45 +0100
Douglas,

I don't want to start a flame war or anything, but your facts just aren't
correct.

I developed LISTSERV in 1986 under the  aegis of a university for which I
provided free  system management services  in return. So, I  worked there
without pay,  and in exchange,  they let me  use their IBM  mainframe and
keep ownership of anything I might develop. This was a common arrangement
in Europe  at the time,  although since  then universities have  begun to
realize that, sometimes, these students  develop very valuable things and
it is such a pity that the university doesn't get a share of the profits.
But back then, the thought that I  might develop anything of value was so
remote that  it wasn't considered by  either party. Either way,  I didn't
get my computer time for free; I had to work for it.

You couldn't  get LISTSERV unless  you were connected to  BITNET/EARN and
had an IBM  mainframe. Unfortunately, this doesn't equate to  any kind of
patronage from any  of these organizations. I did not  receive funding, a
computer, or anything like that.  I did receive encouragements, thank you
letters and  the like, but you  cannot pay the  rent with that. I  had to
work, like everyone else, for what I had.

EARN's only real contribution to LISTSERV is that they purchased licenses
in bulk in 1993, for which I was  and still am very grateful, but by then
LISTSERV  was already  7 years  old. IBM  generously invited  me to  meet
senior developers that customers normally have  no access to, and I think
they even paid for one of these  trips, although I no longer remember for
sure. BITNET  (which by  then was  called CREN)  tried to  put me  out of
business because,  aahhh let's  not get  into that  old stuff.  It's very
difficult to understand if you weren't there at the time.

Grateful as  I am for these  contributions, they are at  best meagre. The
French government made a far bigger  contribution by footing the bill for
my studies.  I got to  attend one of the  top universities in  Europe for
free, although  in reality that was  funded by the taxes  my parents paid
all their life. Nevertheless, I think there is a stronger case for saying
that French laws should apply to  LISTSERV usage today than for expecting
the product to have  to follow rules that BITNET, EARN or  IBM had in the
80s.

Most of  the LISTSERV backbone is  academic sites, but rest  assured that
your average commercial customer doesn't  want its distributions to touch
the backbone.  In a  typical commercial  scenario, money  is lost  if the
message isn't delivered, and  the last thing you want is  to hear that an
outage somewhere in  an organization you have never even  heard of is the
reason you might be losing your  job today after your scheduled chat with
an angry VP. The  backbone is used for lists such  as this one, primarily
by  universities. In  the 80s  or early  90s, when  the backbone  carried
almost all the traffic and  was implemented with mainframes costing eight
figures, there  was a clear economic  aspect to the backbone,  but at the
time there was  no commercial usage on the network  because there were no
commercial users. Today there is, in  most cases, no actual cost for what
is  left  of  the  backbone,  because  it uses  a  couple  percent  of  a
four-figure server  that you needed  to buy anyway.  I am sure  there are
exceptions here and  there, for instance the central node  at L-Soft is a
server that we would probably not have needed otherwise, and there may be
sites  with older  hardware where  the backbone  takes much  more than  a
couple percent.

As far as I can see, the only L-Soft award that went to a commercial list
is the one  for e-mail marketing, which is a  given. Technically, quite a
few universities do  e-mail marketing nowadays, but you  can rest assured
that they  wouldn't want  to come  near an  "e-mail marketing  award" :-)
Likewise, the Educational award was guaranteed to go to an academic site,
and the rest were open. But the  other awards ended up going to a variety
of non-profit lists, many of them hosted by universities. I wasn't on the
jury (in exchange, I get to pick the Grand Winner in a couple weeks), but
I heard that there were far  more applications from academic sites, which
makes  sense given  the  respective cultures  of  business and  academia.
Universities also have  to accept that others will  review their research
and  other projects,  whereas corporate  lawyers are  not necessarily  as
excited at  the prospect that a  third party will make  public statements
about them.

The awards  are not about  "list ownership" per se,  and we did  not even
attempt to evaluate the skills of the list owner, at least not the skills
that I think you  are thinking of. We would have had  to subscribe to the
lists, start  a couple flame wars,  simulate broken mail clients  and the
like. It could have been fun mind  you, but I doubt the list owners would
have appreciated our efforts ;-)  Although the list owner obviously plays
a central role, and  bearing in mind again that I was not  on the jury, I
think what we looked at is the  big picture. The list members and editors
probably played as big a role as the list owners in the final outcome. We
awarded lists, not list owners.

I am sorry that you never got your T-shirt. If you e-mail me your address
(privately), I'll see if we still have any  left - I think we still do in
some sizes, and since you don't plan  on ever wearing it, any size should
do. Tell you what,  to make up for the lost  T-shirtless years, I'll have
it delivered in a dedicated frame if I find a small enough size, with the
plain (no logo)  side of the shirt up,  so you can hang it on  a wall. No
other list owner  will have a plain black T-shirt  inexplicably framed in
his  living room  with the  text  "In memoriam  flammarum" underneath.  A
definite  conversation   piece  and,   who  knows,  perhaps   a  valuable
collector's item in 10 years or so?

  Eric