Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 16 Sep 1992 10:23:12 +0200
On  Wed, 16  Sep  1992  01:54:44 -0400  "Terry  Kennedy, Operations  Mgr"
<TERRY@SPCVXA> said:

>  While I've never tried moving a file between two European hosts, I can
>say  that performance  has been  very good  between those  hosts and  my
>system here in the US.

European hosts, and in particular  Germany, have much better connectivity
to the US than with each other, because politicians generally accept that
they can put  no pressure on the US regarding  topology, protocols et al,
whereas  anything within  Europe is  a  hot political  topic nowadays.  I
consider myself  lucky if  PING to  Germany comes  back within  less than
2000ms.  BITNET files  don't move  faster, but  they do  move without  my
intervention. Poland  is connected to  EARN at 9.6k (half-duplex)  and to
the  Internet at  40k (the  plan is  to run  VMNET, but  they are  having
trouble  getting  a suitable  ethernet  controller).  The Poles  use  the
network to order  PC packages, PC packages and  PC packages; occasionally
they may also send  mail. In spite of the fact that  the IP connection is
about 5  times faster, they  are using BITNET  to get their  PC packages;
that line works  24h at 100%, whereas  the IP one is about  40% used. Can
anyone tell  me why one might  want to use inferior  protocols running at
1/5th the speed?

>> FTP  can't  even  transfer  a  VMS saveset  unless  both  systems  run
>> Multinet. SEND/FILE/VMSDUMP works.
>
>  I beg to  differ. The homebrew FTP  client and server I run  on my VAX
>handle this format quite well

I stand corrected,  it only works if the server  is running TGV's product
and the  client is  either TGV's  or a homebrew  or adapted  version. The
situation remains  the same: concretely,  when I  FTP a package  for VMS,
half of the time I have to get a separate "fixup" program which has to be
compiled and run manually on the file so I can use it at all.

>The maximum BITNET file size is 300K,

Oh, please! We  all know that this  limit exists only in  paper, and that
the only reason  it is still present  (in the US) is  bureaucracy. I send
and receive larger files every day without problem.

>I also get my  BITNET files delivered to me at  the lightning fast speed
>of over nine thousand bits per second!

Don't tell me you have never heard of VMNET and JNET's TCPNJE? What would
you say if I told you that I  am planning a move from VMS to unix because
vi is more user-friendly than TECO? :-)

>Just last week I retrieved a version of an RFC-compliant SEND program.

Yes,  and there  are many  problems with  this protocol  and its  current
implementations. In particular, it will never work on machines with large
amounts of users as  it is now. This may be a small  amount of hosts, but
it certainly is a significant amount of users.

On the 8th of July, I informed the author of the VM version that I needed
two changes to the VM implementation in  order to be able to support this
protocol  with LISTSERV:  the ability  to request  the server  to cleanly
reject messages for which reverse lookup failed (alternatively if this is
not  possible  LISTSERV could  toss  them  out  itself,  but it  is  more
user-friendly  if the  server rejects  them as  per the  protocol) and  a
non-blocking  interface. This  is a  *minimal* requirement,  I completely
ignored a number  of other concerns I  had with the protocol.  It has not
been possible to implement these changes in time for 1.7d.

>While hosts that support  it are scarce at the moment,  all of our (SPC)
>hosts will, and I expect it  to catch on. Likewise for sender-controlled
>file transfer.

You are being very optimistic. I  doubt either protocol will really catch
up before 2 years (the latter is not even a protocol yet).

>> I am on BITNET and I can TELNET around. I must have missed something.
>
>  But that's  an Internet  service. Having BITNET  doesn't affect  it at
>  all.

Obviously. The  person I was  replying to seemed  to say that  one should
leave  BITNET because  TELNET  is  better than  BITNET  services. I  just
pointed out the flaw in this argument.

  Eric