Fri, 21 May 1999 15:44:53 +0100
On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 09:57:07AM -0400, Nathan Brindle wrote:
> Nope.  This is a feature of the mail server on the remote side.  LISTSERV
> does everything it can to ensure that bounce mail goes back to the
> owner-listname address for the list, but it can't keep remote mail
> servers from ignoring RFC821 and bouncing mail back to the RFC822
> From:, Sender:, or Reply-To: address if that's the way the remote mailer
> is implemented.

On this subject, what is the *correct* way for an MTA to treat an
envelope?

In this case a subscriber's mailer adds an Errors-To: pointing back to
themselves, and they post, and a remote MTA which is generating a bounce
message honours the Errors-To: in the post (pointing to subscriber) instead
of the MAIL FROM: (pointing to the listserv bounce processer). Should I
tell the remote site to stop honouring the headers, or should I tell the
client to stop generating them?

Regards,
Dave

--
----------------------------------- [log in to unmask]  Dave Wilson, HEA-NOC
HEAnet Limited, Marine House, Clanwilliam Court, Dublin 2  Tel: +353-1-662-3412