Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:24:12 -0400
The site admin can change the user passwords for the users.... but users
with properly functioning email service can always simply change it
again.  List owners can't change a user password because it is a "user
password" not a "list password" and the list owner does not 'own' the
user just because they happen to subscribe to any particular list -
given that the list owner controls subscription, it would be possible to
add a subscriber simply for the purpose of gaining password management
ability, if it were available, and thus perhaps act in mischievous or
malicious ways toward a user.  There is no "subscription's list
password" to be canceled.

As for selective access to the archives, logically the idea breaks
down, in my view of things.  If someone has been a subscriber for a
while, they could already HAVE the archive, in effect, simply by
retaining all the mail they receive via the list.  I would say if you
have someone who has recently subscribed and is "harvesting" archive
information and using it in ways that you consider inappropriate, then
raise your concerns with the site administrator.  I believe any
reputable site manager would be very willing to deal with such issues,
in the interest of preserving the site's "good name" as a nice place to
do business.  Of course, their interest level may also depend on just
what the nature of the "inappropriate" behavior actually is, too.  And
too, it may be that "the horse is already out of the barn" by the time
you realize the archives have been harvested.