Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 16 Feb 1993 10:20:30 PST
On Tue, 16 Feb 1993 13:23:57 EST, Nathan Brindle <NBrindle@IndyCMS> wrote:
> I just got two bounces from a user at II.UJ.EDU.PL.  I did a whois search
> on NIC.DDN.MIL and got "unknown host."  Are not all of the eastern European
> nodes "hooked in" to the Internet yet?  Just curious.
The database at the NIC doesn't contain much "fine-level" detail on non-USA
hosts.  In fact, the only entry seems to be for 'PL-DOM', i.e., the top-level
domain for Poland.  There are no entries for 'EDU.PL' hosts, other than the
listed name-servers (FIZYK2.FUW.EDU.PL and COCOS.FUW.EDU.PL and
INFOSERV.II.UJ.EDU.PL) for this domain.
!        ^^^^^^^^^^^^  <---- Hint! 'II.UJ.EDU.PL' must be a **VALID** domain!
! <--- INFOSERV is a Sun SPARC 490 running SunOS 4.1.1

> BTW, the original error report from INDYCMS cited "Mailbox not found" as
> the error.
Sounds like the user ID at that node is no longer valid, i.e., nothing fancy!
The wording of the error-message is probably peculiar to the SunOS software.
Remove the ID from your mailing-list.