John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:47:57 -0500
> I am trying to figure out how to delete a Topic from a List.
>

> In reading the documentation Listserv is telling me to make the adjustment
> in the "Configuration" screen by replacing the Topic I want to delete with a
> comma so as not to change the order of the Topics. This is because Listserv
> understand the Topics not by name but instead by the order of the Topics
> when they are created. I also find that I can add and delete Topics in the
> "Wizard" > "Categories of Keywords" > "Distribution" screen by scrolling to
> the bottom of the page where the "Topics=" field is located. When I delete
> the Topics on this screen I leave a blank line to make sure to keep the
> Topics in the correct order. This appears to work fine until I go check in
> the "Configuration" screen where there are no commas or spaces, but instead
> the Topic has been completely deleted from the List with no placeholder thus
> changing the order of the Topics.

When the wizard came out in 1.8e it had a lot of problems like this with
the configuration changes in the list header (configuration). I know some
of those were addressed in later updates, but I don't know if this is
something different or not. All that I could recommend is make sure you
have the latest version and/or just use the configuration screen which
always works.

> Is this an upgrade in the version of Listserv that I am using where you can
> now delete and add Topics without worrying about changing the order of the
> listing?

No.

> If this is true can I still change the name of the Topics once they
> have been created without breaking the system or changing the subscriber
> options of people who have already signed up for that Topic?

You can re-name Topics any time you want and it won't affect the
subscriber. All you need to remember is NEVER change the order of the
named topic. Listserv only cares on the order and number of topics.
(besides the reserved names)

> Any help is appreciated. I have been mulling over all the documentation I
> can find but am unable to solve this one.

Since you wiped out the topics= in the configuration, if you add them back
in the same order, the subscribers will re-gain what they had before they
were wiped out.