John Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 20:45:24 -0400
Hello all:

For a long time, on many lists, the Review command would get you a list of
everyone subscribed and their address, unless they took the time to set
their subscription for conceal.  It seems that very few lists allow that
command now, or they return the short version with basic list information
only, owner, parameters, etc.

Is this a conscious choice on the part of most list owners, or does the
latest version automatically send the short review to all but the owners?

I suspect that paranoia about the availability of that kind of information
(name and address) prompted most listowners to nix the review command.
Although I'm supprised at how few people of those I train on subscribing
to lists are suspicious when I explain that the listserv keeps a file of
thier names (they always wonder why it wants their name in the subscribe
statement, not their address).

Are there any documented cases, or even reliable anecdotes, about
information from the review command being put to foul use?

Thanks in advance for any input.

\          John Barr                                   Voice:  (215) 222-1532
\\         HSLC                                        Fax:    (215) 222-0416
\\\\       3600 Market St., Suite 550
\\\\\\     Philadelphia, PA 19104-2646                 E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
H S L C