Elliott Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 3 May 1998 05:56:37 EDT
On Sat, 2 May 1998 06:50:59 -0000 you said:
>Well I'm not sure I can help much more than to assure you both that Interliant is not a producer of spam. In addition there is no afiliation that I am aware of between iname and Interliant. Further, the references to worldcom in the bounce report do not have anything to do with the telco named Worldcom. Interliant used to be named Worldcom and some of their server still bear that name. If you ping safety.interliant.com, you will get the same result as pinging safety.worldcom.com (if you can even still ping safety.worldcom.com).
>
>Interliant is the leader in the global groupware hosting industry. As a result, they maintain messaging gateways to provide their thousands of users with Notes->Internet messaging capabilities (as well as other gateways). They bounce report in question was bounced because the header of the source message didn't contain the necessary information for Interliant's server to process the message. They attempted to return the message to the sender. This doesn't make them SPAM offenders. The problem possibly lies messaging format of the sender. There is not enough info in the bounce info form me to tell you anything more specific than that,
>however.
>
>Be careful before arbitrarily trashing organizations like Interliant and WorldCom without getting more information about the situation.

This msg. is a couple of months old, but if anybody is interested in the
resolution, by process of elimination and some guessing I narrowed the
perps down to about 20.  Then I started setting each to nomail when
I got a few extra minutes.  If they replied, they were set back to
mail, otherwise deleted.
    (Anybody remember Pogo?  Pogo asks how to tell if a person is
friend or foe.  "Shoot them first; you can tell if they were friend
or foe when your turn over the body."  :-)    )
    If they want to consider themselves a "leader," I suggest they
learn how to answer email and institute a postmaster or abuse address.
Worldcom, Interliant and Iname seem clueless, or more likely they
are so big they do not have to worry about customer service.
--elliott parker