Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:52:45 -0500
I am in the process of testing a new LISTSERV 14.5 list that I set up
yesterday for a non-profit volunteer tech support group with which I
am involved. This group hosts two lists  on another server, not under
LISTSERV. The group's executive board and I are moving both lists to
the LISTSERV that I manage. I moved the executive board's list last
night. We intend to use that in order to give the board members and
me time to tweak the settings to best meet our needs. This group is
very skittish about doing any changes in how our methods of
communications work, so I am trying to make this list migration go as
smoothly as possible and use this first list as the gold standard for
how we'll treat the list for the general membership. So far, the
board members are very happy, including the manager of the old list
who was very obstructionist to this move for years before he finally
buckled under.

Anyway, our testing with the board's list looks good, except for a
minor issue that really seems to bother only me, but I want to fix it
anyway. We want to allow any kind of content (e.g., HTML, rtf,
attachments, etc.) to be posted and distributed to the list. That
appears to work well.

What isn't meeting my expectations is how messages in rtf format are
stored in this list's archives.  For some reason, an rtf message
appears as plain text in the archives, but rft in the individual
email messages that people receive.

What I want to know is how I can preserve the formatting in the
archived messages.

Also, a truly minor issue involves that way file names are
represented in the archives. The files get stored in the archives and
they can be opened fine in the relevant application, but any file
name that contains blank spaces has the spaces stripped out. For
example, if I sent a file called "this file.doc" to the list, it gets
distributed fine and I can access it fine  in the archives, but its
name appears as "thisfile.doc" and I am curios about what that's
happening. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the file names
to be preserved in the archives?

In case it  matters, the archives are being accessed via the WA cgi
and our http server is Apache and this all runs on a system with Suse
Linux on it for the OS.

Here's the list's relevant header keywords ...

* Default-Options= NoAck,Mime,Html,IETFhdr,Repro,SUBJecthdr
* Notebook= Yes,/home/listserv/home/boardmlmug,Monthly,Private