Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 17:38:08 -0700
On Fri, 7 Jan 2000 11:09:39 -0700, John Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>We are in the process of migrating our listserv to an other server that will
>use a different domain name.
>What I would like to know is if I can have our existing users send to mail
>to the original domain lists.ittoolbox.com and use a MX record to forward
>them to our new domain name.
>
>If this is possible how will listserv deal with it?

Do you have to use a different name?  Why not just migrate the name and adjust
the DNS records to point to the new IP address.

If it's a company name change, you still need to adjust the DNS for the old
domain name to point to the new IP address.

Set up LISTSERV thusly in site.cfg

NODE=newname
MYDOMAIN=newname oldname

This will allow LISTSERV to accept mail for the old name as well as the new.  Of
course you may want to tell users you are moving so they won't be completely
surprised.

(these are not the only settings you will need to change of course, at least the
SMTP_FORWARD= will also change for outgoing mail but that's another question.)