Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 Oct 1994 16:44:26 -0400
At  7:54 AM 10/4/94 -0500, Marty Hoag wrote:
>On Mon, 3 Oct 1994 16:15:29 -0400 you said:
>>A quote of P.T. Barnum's comes to mind :-)
>>
>>>USAGREENCARD via [log in to unmask]
>>>
>>>   The law office of Mark Carmel, Attorney at Law, is now hosting a new
>>>   mailing list on the topic of U.S.A. Immigration Law.
>
>   Since I'm the NEW-LIST editor I seem to be the object of this statement.

Oops.  The intended object of the statement is USAGREENCARD via uslawyer
which *was* (wasn't it) the SAME lawyer and nearly the same userid at
AOL.Com--where the account was cancelled because of abuse of USENET
(according to AOL's postmaster)

The listing DID include the same disclaimer that it did in it's previous
incarnation.  I quoted the disclaimer again because it seems as justified
as it was the first time.

>   Now, for all I know this could be an attempt to solicit business.  But
>it could also be exactly what it says - a list to discuss immigration law.
>Or it might be something in between - like the "Ask a Professional" pages
>in the newspaper

I support your position--there's an ancient and worthwhile academic
tradition against prior censorship.  On the other hand, given recent
history I may want to take bids on my quit claim deed for the Brooklyn
Bridge...

>   I think we have to be very careful not to fall into the trap of
>guilt by association (ie. all immigration lawyers or lawyers must be
>crooks).

I agree that it's appropriate to wait and see.  On the other hand, this
listname and userid have a history that warrants some skepticism.  The
history does NOT involve illegal behavior (even Canter & Siegel were
legal).  As far as I know Mark Carmel ethical reputation is intact, and
it's *possible* that AOL overreacted and interpreted the inept as the
nefarious.  Still, I won't be recommending this list to my students here on
F1 visas.

/s Murph Sewall                                 (203) 486-2489 voice
   Marketing Department                         (203) 486-5246 fax