Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 08:59:25 -0400
On  4 Sep 97 at 3:45, C wrote:
<snip>
> Had I had the "review" option, however, I would have known my boss
> was on the list and would not have posted the offending question.
>
> It seems to me that removing the "right" to know to whom you are
> speaking for the sake of out-maneuvering spammers . . .   Well,
> spammers are an annoyance, a bother, a pain.  Not knowing to whom
> you are speaking could have serious ramifications.
<snip>

A good rule of thumb to use, in regard to E-mail, is NEVER send
anything through E-mail, and I include private E-mail to a trusted
recipient, that you would not want to see in the front page of
tomorrow's paper. E-mail, like cell phones, is simply not a secure
means of communication.

E-mail to a list, doubly so. Even if your boss is not subscribed
today, he may subscribe tomorrow and see people's replies (including
quotes of your original letter). Or he may subscribe next year and
look through the archives. Or he may do a web search on a term that
shows up in your post and stumble on the archives that way.

Francoise