David Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:31:45 -0400
On 4/10/07, Karen R <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Jan Guthrie wrote the following on 4/10/2007 3:47 PM:
>
> > According to that person I cannot set up a feedback loop unless I am the
> > owner of the IP address.  Since Lsoft hosts our list, Lsoft would have
> > to request it, AND the info would only be sent to LSoft.
>
> L-Soft does have a feedback loop with AOL, and they do maintain it.
> Unfortunately the presence of a feedback loop does not stop AOL from
> blocking individual messages, or bouncing everything from an IP address.
> The theory is that the person checking the loop will see the supposed
> spam that is being bounced and do something about it, not that AOL will
> respond to it. AOL even strips the address from feedback loop posts, so
> it is difficult (though not impossible -- a daily probe will allow one
> message every other day to be identified) to find out who is bouncing the
> mail.

But the AOL feedback loop doesn't give info on bounces, it gives
feedback in the form of an email, whenever a AOLuser reports a message
as spam.  AOL also strips out the name of the sender unless you've set
them to full822 header, or have each recipients name actually IN the
message.

AOL may have changed things on their feedbackloop ... I set up ours a
couple of years ago, I think, and it is going to an address that is
not on the IP of our list server machine (it's going to one of my
earthlink addresses)

--
David Phillips
Molon Labe !