Bill Silvert <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 16:42:37 -0300
Although this is not strictly a mailing list problem, I think I've run
into a situation close enough to this that I will pose a question that
has been bothering me for some time.  I assume that there are some real
mail gurus on this list who might have some constructive ideas.

>The only thing I can think of that will cause someone to get mail from a
>list they are not subscribed to is that they are still subscribed to the
>list under another user id or someone else is forwarding the mail to
>them.

I sometimes get mail sent to [log in to unmask] which is clearly
addressed to someone else, a Ms. Silverstein, but who she is or how my
address got on the machine I don't know.  There is no reply to mail
addressed to [log in to unmask], and telnetting to port 25 doesn't
seem to provide any useful information.  It appears that there must be
some program there that collects email addresses and installs them as
aliases, but I can't imagine why.

Apologiies for wandering a bit off topic, but this sort of thing has
curious implications for mailing list managers, and I would be most
interesting to hear some theories about this strange phenomenon.  I
might add that .GOV is a US government domain, and I live in Canada.

Bill
--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Div., Bedford Inst. Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2