Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 06:02:16 +0200
Trying to use Internet methods to address physical abuse issues just does
not work. People will get hotmail accounts, write anonymously, find a new
ISP, etc.  I wouldn't even bother  to get the account  closed. Before you
think I am pontificating, check:

    http://segate.sunet.se/htbin/wa?A2=ind9710&L=fish-ecology&P=R3880

(yes, that's the very same one whose name rings a bell)

I could probably get  his account closed for X days,  but what would this
accomplish? Right now he is just being a major pain in the butt, although
he is slowly reaching the point where  I am going to mail a few printouts
to his university,  with phone numbers where to get  more info, and start
taking bets on how long it takes them to expel him, which will also close
his account. But this guy actually said he would shoot me sooner or later
for having told the  MIT not to host his list (like  the MIT takes orders
from me, but  nevermind). If he actually  decides to do that  (not that I
think it is anything  other than posturing), what good is  it going to do
me that his account was closed?

Anyway, what you  need to do is find  out the name of this  person who is
making the  threats, and  this is  what you should  press AOL  for, which
probably requires filing a complaint  with the police first. If something
happens to you and they did not  cooperate with the police, they may very
well be liable, so I think they would cooperate.

  Eric