Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:45:51 -0300
This is the most common problem I encounter, and one of the most
helpful error messages I'm aware of (one reason I like LISTSERV so
much).

> You  are not  authorized to  send mail  to the  ENGLISH-
> FACULTY list from your [log in to unmask] account.  You might  be
> authorized to send to the list from another of your accounts, or
> perhaps when using another mail program which generates slightly
> different addresses, but  LISTSERV has no way  to associate this
> other account or address with yours.

That's exactly it. For lists set to subscriber-only posting, Email
addresses have to be stored in the exact form as the return address
the subscriber is using, and, regularly, university IT folks "clean
up" their mailers and change everybody's default address -- changing
the internal routing or the form of the user's name. (To be fair, they
usually inform users they're doing it, but users don't usually know
what it means to their list subscriptions.)

Almost as regularly, people change mailing programs and don't know
that when they identify themselves they need to have the exact same
address, resulting in a situation where they have different return
addresses when they're working from their desks and at home.

Check the list, see what this person is actually subscribed as, and
either change it or tell the subscriber what the problem is. It takes
more time than anything else I do as a listowner -- but the
alternative is to let anybody post to the list, and that way lies
waist-deep spam.

-- Russ

Russell Hunt
Department of English