Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Jul 1995 22:43:07 -0500
On Mon, 24 Jul 1995 09:53:42 -0400, David O'Donnell wrote:
>>At 2:16 PM 7/23/95, Susan King wrote:
>>> Some way to form a laundry list
>>>so if someone is removed from one service there will be a database to check
>>all
>>>new subscribers against before giving them an account elsewhere.>>
>>        As much as I'd like to agree, the idea of blacklisting people from
>>the net bothers me immensely. [ ... ]
>
>I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, I have had to deal with trouble
>users

Quite well too.  I'd like to public thank David for his efforts maintaining
good net citizen ship @AOL.Com

>On the other hand, blacklisting does smack of playing god with the net.

It seems to me that software that detects and rejects spamming (even by
crime stoppers in the US Air Force who thought spamming was okay because
several generals signed off on it--remember the rather large uuecoded jpeg
wanted poster a couple of years back) is the most effective and humane
solution.

LISTSERV's automated spam detectors manifestly work.  I don't know how
feasible a similar approach is for NETNEWS but I hope someone is working on
it.  The only Olga spam I had the opportunity to read was on a list I
subscribe to that is gateway'd from NETNEWS (MICRO-L is a long standing
LISTSERV feed of comp.sys.micros).

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (203) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (203) 486-5246 fax