"Stan V. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 00:02:18 EDT
Folks

I manage three Listserv lists, but also belong to one in my forensic
economics profession whereby its is useful to have the archives cataloged by topic,
user, etc, and whereby the email content is searchable and so is the subject
line.  Every  year we are offered a CD with a complete archive for research
purposes, created by one of our members who was one of the list owner for a time.
Others who manage lists might find this useful.

Here is a description of the software that does this.  If you are interested,
the email is below

"Per our conversation, I have developed a software program with the
capability of extracting emails from listserv archives and creating a database from
them.  I have also developed a software program that uses the database to present
the emails so the user can find any given email quickly and easily.  The
database can be sorted by date, subject, or author.  Once sorted--say by
author--the user can access a list of all authors.  Clicking on an author then gives
another list of all subjects on which the author has written and the date.  The
user can then easily follow threads (subjects) from start to finish. Users can
also do key word SEARCHES of the emails or of the subject lines.  Anyone
interested in finding out more about the possibility of making email archives more
easily available to listserv members should contact me."

The software was developed by:

Mel Fredlund
Advocate Software
<A HREF="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>
(925) 256-6661