Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 26 May 1995 01:23:19 EDT
>do people ever have digest be the default mode?

Well, it's not for everyone, but I have a list the runs that way, and I really
like it.  It's definitely not a standard thing to do, but this is what I do:

1) Everyone is set to DIGEST except me....
2) ... thus, when people post, I see the post right away.   If it's something
   that really shouldn't go into the digest (such as a spam, or an errant SUB
   request etc.)...
3) ... I edit the <listname> DIGEST and <listname> SUBJECTS files and remove
   the post.  Or I edit the post (like adding a subject if none was supplied,
   or making a notation or whatever.)
4) I have a SET exit which keeps people from setting MAIL, though it's a quick
   hack and maybe one day I'll write a better one which sends nice mail back
   or something.

Of course, if I can't get to the computer, the digest gets distributed without
my intervention, so it's not like a moderated list in that things won't grind
to a stop if the moderator isn't around.

Bill Gruber
City University of New York Computer Center