Dave Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 16 Jan 1995 10:03:05 -0500
Edis Bevan writes:

> A message to my moderated list was a copy of a SPAM from Conway Data.
>

> However......
> I also got a dozen or so flame messages addressed to my list as if it had
> been the origin of the SPAM. Its this third thing Im concerened about.
> These misidirected flames seem to have come from people using 'reply'
> which suggests that my address in the SPAM hitlist has been mutated into the
> :from address.

I got this on my small NASIRN-L list when I checked mail Sat. am. Since we've
only 55 sub'ers, I was surprised to see mail apparently routing from
Columbia University and places like the Kennan Institute (a rather foul
missive at that). I simply got the header for my list and set it to
subscriber-only posting to shut off the noise.  I'm afraid there'll be 8
million more stories like this in the naked cybercity.....

-Dave Phillips
 biosph-l, nasirn-l, plearn-l