Mark London <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 May 1999 15:38:36 -0400
Recently I was  alerted byORBS.ORG that my site had been identified as being
an email relay site, i.e. it could be used by spammers to relay messages to
other sites.  I plugged up all the holes, including an empty from address which
ORBS.ORG tests for, since many spammers don't include a FROM address.

However, an unexpected result of this was that I no longer could receive mail
from the LISTSERV account.  This is because it sends a blank address in the
MAIL FROM: command in the SMTP protocol.  I.e.:

MAIL FROM:<>

A real address is specified in the message header itself.   I believe that
more and more people are going to testing for this situation.  Is there a way
to correct LISTSERV to specify the address in the MAIL FROM: command also?
Thanks.

Mark