Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 15:00:59 +0100
On Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:57:11 EST Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]> said:

>LISTSERV  allow you  to get  a personal  password only  for the  address
>that's in your From header. If a list  owner adds you to a list using an
>alternate form  of your address,  there's no way for  you to get  at the
>list's private archives through the web interface, since you can't get a
>personal password for the right address.

That has  been changed in 1.8d  (although perhaps not in  the early build
you are running),  so it is no  longer an issue. The  restriction is that
you must  apply for  a password for  the address listed  in the  list (or
whichever address has authority to access the data).

>Worse, the user may not even realize  what the right address is, even if
>they could get a personal password for it.

I don't see any easy solution to  that. With 1.8d you can define hostname
aliases for Internet hosts, ie you can define that CU.NIH.GOV is the same
thing as NIHCU.NIH.GOV and so forth.  But this doesn't help with the kind
of  address  mapping that  you  use  at NIH  where  people  can have  3-4
addresses that have essentially nothing to  do with each other (and where
the list owner may not even know what alternate addresses to add for user
X). Only  a locally maintained database  of equivalences and a  list exit
would help.

  Eric