Birdie MacLennan <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 21:54:13 -0500
Greetings!

  a. We have two listserv services (aflcr and pause-cafe) running on
the same server  (@list.uvm.edu)

  b. We have people who want to post the same message to both lists,
so they put both list addresses in their message AND they are set to
receive copies of the mail they post to both lists (i.e. subscriber
setting for both lists has the setting: Default-Options=
Repro,Subjecthdr)

  c.  However, when sending messages to both lists they are reporting
that only one copy of the message is coming back to them, instead of
one from each list.  There are conflicting reports about which list
sends back the one message that they do receive ... it might be from
either list but not both!

  d.  The sender is left to wonder if the message only made it through to
one list and not both.

My question to the lstown-l forum is:  Why are message senders only
receiving one copy of their message (from one list or the other), when
they should be receiving a copy from each list?

I'm thinking there must be a filter or de-duping mechanism in the
sender's local email system that is somehow filtering out the
duplicate because it is clear from the logs that the messages are
posted to both lists ... and only the person sending the message to
both lists seems to be affected by receiving the message from only one
list (i.e., subscribers to both lists are seeing both messages).   But
could there be another reason?  And why is it only the message sender
who is affected?

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

  - Birdie MacLennan <[log in to unmask]>