Jim Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 15:33:29 -0400
>This is an interesting idea, however, it might compromise the integrity of
>a list by making it so easy to delete messages.

Would you argue that moderated lists lack integrity?  Just think of editing
and deleting archives as post-distribution moderation.

>Also, there are far more
>important issues that need to be addressed in future Listserv upgrades
>than this.

This a trivial task for the L-Soft developers. My guess is that this is
less than an hour of coding for even their most junior programmer.

>After all, how many times does anyone ever have to edit or
>delete a message that was posted to a list?

If you check this list's archive for requests for help editing and deleting
archives, you will find it may not be the most frequently asked question
but it is near the top. For that matter, you do not have to search the
archive, just read the posts in this thread.  The L-Soft recommend
technique may not be possible for some list owners because of the list's
archive log file size.