Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:38:25 -0500
On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, John Roraback PhD wrote:
> options) but even this does not always click for folks.  I think that many
> simply do not read things, nor save instructions, until they need them, and
> then, often on a "desperate" basis.

Not "clicking" is the perrenial problem.  There are those who pay no
attention at all regardless of the information you provide, then those who
pay attention but don't save, thinking they'll remember but don't when it
comes time they need to do something, etc.  The best subscribers get all
the info on the system and save it for reference but rarely need it.

I imagine a large part of the problem is the tendency of most people
to call a list a listserv.  Given this, it becomes very difficult to
get it across that they are two totally disparate things, and it leads
to confusion.  When was the last time you tried to explain to your
subscribers that a list is not a listserv?  Rather an excercise in
futility, like asking them not to quoute excessively/unnecessarily.

Douglas