Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:39:46 +1000
> Other instances a strange thing happens, users within
> my Exchange environment receive attachments okay, but those
> outside of the
> Exchange group get text garbage in the e-mail body and this is what is
> posted to Listserv as well.

Make sure that everyone posts as plain-text only.  As soon as you get
Exchange users, who are more than likely running Outlook as their MUA, other
problems can ensue.  Exchange treats rich-text (and HTML, on occasion) a bit
differently than other MTAs and attaches the body using a proprietary
format, MS-TNEF.  The MIME boundaries look like this:

------_=_NextPart_xxxx.xxxx_xxxx.xxx

Unfortunately, sometimes attachments also get bundled with the body...which
means that you can only read the proprietary Microsoft format if you use
Microsoft software.  Neat, huh?  Too bad if the rest of the Internet can't
see it...

Forcing it to send in plain-text only will prevent it from encoding the
email in a strange way and should help to solve the problem.  Now, there
*is* a setting in Exchange itself which can override what the user chooses
but, hopefully, your mail admin(s) was smart enough to *not* enable this
when the system was set up.  I can help you with that, too, but requires a
longer explanation.

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.