Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 23 Apr 1995 18:32:39 -0400
[Dave Gomberg]
> Netcom.com uses LISTSERV.

No, the annoying thing is that they *don't*  -- they use Majordomo 1.62 and
have it answering at "[log in to unmask]".

I have  no problem with aliasing  another server's address with "listserv,"
since lots of people will try there first.   For example, our LISTSERV also
gets  any mail that's sent to  "majordomo", "majordom", or "listproc".  But
*promoting*  a  Majordomo under the address   "listserv", especially in the
crippled setup Netcom  uses (many versions  behind, no digests, other stuff
broken too) is stupid -- aside from "help" the command and feature sets are
very  different.  Even "subscribe" is different!   All that does is promote
massive confusion   -- "do I put my   name after subscribe,  or my address?
Well, it's LISTSERV, so ..."

But I agree with the rest of your message, Dave :-)

Norm
--
Women  love cats.  Men  say they love  cats, but when women aren't looking,
men kick cats.