Michael McNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 1 May 2002 05:04:11 -0700
April 24th is the date Yahoo! terminated its free email forwarding and POP access service, restricting users to free webmail and fee-for-service POP access.  Even though Yahoo! sent out reminders once or twice weekly of the impending change a month ahead of time, I suspect many users either deleted the advisories or simply neglected to make the necessary changes in their list subscription arrangements.  Considering that some Yahoo! accounts are probably used for a multitude of subscriptions, especially in "forwarding" mode, cessation of that service would undoubtedly lead to a rapidly full mailbox with, I suspect in the circumstances, termination of account by Yahoo!

They have made the change due to rapidly declining advertising revenues, now requiring a greater portion from their user base, and if users aren't maintaining their accounts, I can see Yahoo! closing the accounts very quickly, leading to the mass bounces.

In March, Yahoo! advised users to use their ISP's SMTPs for sending @yahoo.com email.  I don't think Yahoo's system is validating account access permissions for ISP or any other SMTPs, which makes me worry about spoofing, etc.  (I removed my password in Eudora for a Yahoo account, causing it to prompt me for it when sending, and upon entering a fictitious password, the email was successfully sent.)

Michael