Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Aug 1994 14:07:47 -0500
        Earlier today, Eric Thomas wrote:

> Unfortunately, there is  no simple answer to this question.  If you check
> the RFC's, they say that the error must go to the SMTP MAIL FROM: address
> (and never to the RFC822 Reply-To:  or From: address, unless of course it
> happens to be  the same). Now, the  problem with RFC's is  that they only

        Oh, now I see.  I was confusing the top FROM: line with the
internal From: line.  My problem with the Alaska folks is that they
were returning bounced mail to the internal From: address, creating
massive confusion for posters on my list.  I gather from what you've
said that the Alaska system shouldn't have done that, but it may not
have had much of a choice.  Darn.  How can I write an indignant,
self-righteous note complaining about their actions if they really had
no better alternative? :-)

        Anyway, many thanks for answering my question.

        Joan Korenman, WMST-L Listowner   KORENMAN@UMBC
        Univ. of MD. Baltimore County     [log in to unmask]
        Baltimore, Maryland 21228-5398