Thu, 9 Jun 1994 08:42:56 -0500
On Thu, 9 Jun 1994, Roger Burns wrote:
> Anmd when you *do* PUT the header back, be sure there's no extraneous text
> following your revised header -- such as your automatic signature -- lest
> Listserv thinks your PUTting back the whole file, not just the header, and
> it wipes out your old subscription list.

I use Pine and Elm and both have automatic signature file options, but
I've never used them.  Instead, I have several different signatures as
regular files and insert them, when wanted, with a few kestrokes.
Personally, I would think it a good idea for anyone doing regular work
with a list from a UNIX platform via email to get rid of automatic
signatures to avoid the horror Roger Burns mentions.  I know I don't
always pay quite as much attention as I ought, and accidentally messing up
the list would be a real possibility if I used the automatic signatures.

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner