"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Oct 1994 07:56:00 EDT
>>If you send a 'SUBSCRIBE LSTOWN-L Pat Letendre' command
>>to [log in to unmask], you'll get either:
>> - you are already subscribed,
>> - welcome to the list
>>
>>Send a 'QUERY LSTOWN-L' to the same ID to examine your "settings",
>>e.g., mail/nomail, file/nofile.

While you are at it, also observe the REPRO option: NOREPRO means
that you do NOT receive your OWN postings.

BTW, a "Q" to the LISTSERV takes a different (network) return path
compared to a LSTOWN-L's distributions.  What does this mean concretely?
It means that though a "Q" command response may be received by you, the
LSTOWN-L distributions may be delayed (and/or bounced) for any one of a
dozen reasons.  That's were LISTSERV-cognizant sysadmins (usually)
come in: they check LISTSERV Distribute paths, NJE/Internet connec-
tivity, Domain Name System inconsistences, recent switching of IP
addresses w/ too long TTLs, e-mail forwardings, and the phase of
moon.

My advise to users is NEVER send a test message to a list.  That 'cure'
is always worse than the disease, spawning lots of other messages ;-)

--  co-owner INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
[log in to unmask] "My lists are w/o PEERS ;-)"   s/me    +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA