Wed, 2 Jul 1997 16:55:32 +1000
Hello Eric,

> >Also any mail sent to Listserv is  not answered until all "SMTP to ...."
> >stuff is finished???
>
> LISTSERV answers mail by passing it on to the local MTA via SMTP. If this
> process is a  bottleneck, which is almost always the  case with sendmail,
> LISTSERV cannot answer your requests faster than it is doing it.

I see... but why does it take so long to actually pass that on to a
sendmail on the same machine?  Does it actually waits for sendmail to
deliver it to its destination?  Like if I do a tail -f listserv.log (or
run it from the console) it takes quite a while to process each "SMTP
to..." line.

For example if I go and do a

        mailx -v -s test [log in to unmask]

which is the same machine as Listserv is running it takes a few seconds
to send it...

Also the go.user file has an entry called

        #SMTP_HOSTNAME="myhostname"

which in my go.user is commented out (I take the default is the same
machine as in $NODE right?)  How does this compare to SMTP_FORWARD
option?  SMTP_HOSTNAME is not on the site maintainer's manual...

Regards,

David