"Ahern, Shannon" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 12:17:22 -0700
Thank you!  :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Rauch [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 12:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: requests for "downloadable" archives

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Ahern, Shannon wrote:

> I have this request from a subscriber -- I cannot imagine the
> benefit of doing this, ...

Because they want them. It's up to them-- as users --to figure
out what the benefit is. Of course, perhaps they haven't given
that a thought but believe that "downloading" the entire archive
is the solution.  In that case, you as list owner (pro tem)
may wish to help them find a problem for their solution. :>)

> <request> Are you the Webmistress for the Dotnet lists too?
> Is there any chance you might make the archives available for
> downloading as zip files?  (for example, the original dotnet
> list). Perhaps they could be grouped into years or quarters if
> they are too big. </request>

I suggest that you simply tell them to GET the logfiles
themselves, and if some of them are too big for the requestor's
emailbox, then the logfiles can be GETted with the "SPLIT=nnnn"K
option, and the requestor can stitch them back together.

While GETting or GETting/SPLIT may be more tedious than having
you send ZIPped files, I see no reason for the person to not GET
them. (If the requestor's goal in receiving ZIPped files is
because of the size of the raw logfiles, as I said, those files
can be sent in small chunks ("split") of any size.

If the requestor is seeking old logfiles that are no longer
online (i.e., via LISTSERV's GET command), then you would indeed
be required to intervene.

GET and GET/SPLIT are in the manuals, for your requestor's
reference.

Peter R