"L.G. Parkhurst" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 08:22:01 -0800
The same thing was attempted on one of our lists
yesterday too.  I read the attempt and then deleted it.
It had to do with a list about food.

All the best,
L.G. Parkhurst

Subject: List hijacking?
Author:  LISTSERV list owners' forum <[log in to unmask]> at SMTP
Date:    2/11/97 7:18 AM

Yesterday somebody at another site attempted to replace the
welcome message on one of my lists (mouse, you know the one :-)   )
with their own message for a list with a similar name and topic, but
with information on how to subscribe to the other list.
    LSVPUT was used, but the password stopped them.
    (We changed some header settings last night.)
    My question, mainly out of curiosity, is, is this a common
occurrence?  It's the  first time in five years it has happened
to one of my lists.
    Obviously it was not just a mistake clicking on the wrong icon.
Something probably had to be typed in.   On the other hand,
it would only be a very short time before the bogus msg. was
discovered.