Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 10:06:42 -0400
>I think I am out of luck but -
>
>I am trying to get listserv to accept an address in a particular format, as
>required by a fax gateway we use. The format is:
>/name=JohnDoe/fax=5551234/<[log in to unmask]>
>There are a few variations on that, but the all require slashes.
>
>I have tried many methods, but the closest I have come is:
>
>quiet add listname-l dd=in
>//in dd *
>/name=JohnDoe/fax=5551234/<[log in to unmask]> John Doe
>
>This gives:
>Invalid address: /name=JohnDoe/fax=5551234/<[log in to unmask]>

LISTSERV is interpreting this as an email address with localpart:

        /name=JohnDoe/fax=5551234/<fax

and domain

        mydomain.com>

That's not a valid email address.

This address:

        /name=JohnDoe/fax=5551234/<[log in to unmask]>

is not what I would call an email address per se.  It has two parts,
one of which is an email address:

and the other of which is a "name" (RFC822 would call it a "phrase"):

        /name=JohnDoe/fax=5551234/

(Storing routing information in the name part of the To: field does
not strike me as a great idea.  End of editorial.)

Anyway, something like the following might at least partially work:

quiet add listname dd=x import
//x dd *
[log in to unmask] /name=JohnDoe/fax=5551234/
/*

(I'm adding it using the ADD...IMPORT syntax because that does away
with the requirement that you provide a full name for the email
address.)

The next problem is that when you send a mailing to the mailing list
the recipient's address won't appear in the To: field (unless you're
sending mail to the mailing list via a mail merge job).  It also
won't appear in the RFC821 RCPT TO: since that just includes the
email address ([log in to unmask]).

You could try setting the fax subscription to full822, though I'm
dubious about that too, but it at least has a shot at working and I
can't think of anything else that does.  (Note that LISTSERV has to
generate a seperate message for each FULL822 subscriber, so you don't
want to have too many of them since that takes system resources.)

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc