Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 20:01:23 -0600
At 05:54 PM 4/21/97 -500, Adam Lasnik wrote:
>Hi :-)

Gee, that was the funniest Hi that I ever saw.

>I run a list which has a large portion of college students on it.  Rather
>than have them (and me) suffer from enormous numbers of summertime /
>graduation-related bounces and possibly unintentional deletions, I'd like
>to set all the students to NOMAIL for the summer, and then send them
>monthly notices starting in August to remind them how to reset their
>account back to receive mail.

Well, that could be done....if you knew who the college students were.  And
in general I'd say many campuses have at least a third the regular
enrollment during summer, and many students still read email even if off
campus.  And what about students who get their college accounts from ISPs?
Many colleges now contract out internet service, and almost all students
who are at idbsu.edu get their service from micron.net instead.

>It's easy to practically all college students to NOMAIL by using
>
>    set mylist nomail for *@*.edu*

well, yes, that could be done.  But....it would also unsub the local
redistributions on campuses, the professors, the staff, and anyone else
with a college account.

>right?  The question, though, is how to get back in touch with these
>people when August rolls around.  I don't want to just do a blanket MAIL
>set in August, because some people come back to school in late August,
>others in late September.  Also, I want all college students to be able to
>set their account to MAIL for the summer if they want to.

So ignore it.  You don't have a problem.  Why create one for yourself.

>Any ideas?  Thanks for your help :)

Be sure you have autodelete turned on and then you dont' really have a
problem.

dan, asst postmaster at a university with some 15,000 students

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534