"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 3 Jul 1995 11:39:00 EDT
Though I can't answer all of your questions, I'll given them my
best shot:

>1.  While doing some testing, I managed to get "suspended" from the list.  Not
>good, since I'm a co-owner.  Luckily, I had already set up another
>subscription
>on another machine.  From the other machine, I used the "SERVE" command to
>unsuspend me, but evidentally it didn't work.
>Q:  How can I get unsuspended as the owner?

I don't think you were suspended as owner, but as a USER.  You might
have been able to unsuspend yourself by using some "gateway" notation
e.g., e-mail [log in to unmask]

>2.  Although the literature (FAQs, etc) indicate that LISTSERV is the cadillac
>of MLMs, having started first with Listprocessor and later Majordomo forces
>me to try to related LISTSERV to these other MLMs.
>Q:  Anyone know of a functions mapping between these MLMs to LISTSERV?
>Specifically,

Many end-user functions are mapped.  e-mail [log in to unmask]
with text:

GET MAILSER CMD NETTRAIN

(it was just updated by Jim Milles).

>  a.  ACK setting on Listprocessor will send the senders note back to the
>sender, while LISTSERV only says that it was delivered to the list.  Is there
>a similar setting with LISTSERV?

user settable option (or list default) = REPRO

>  b.  Its unclear how digests work.  In Listprocessor, one can use the SET
>command for digests.  In Majordomo, one can subscribe to the digest sublist.
>How does this work with LISTSERV -- sorry, but the documentation I've seen
>is rather cryptic :-(, but I guess its something that one must get used to.

The DIGEST= keyword controls this.  This has an interaction with
NOTEBOOK=.

For ad hoc discussion on any listserv keyword, e-mail
[log in to unmask] after you modify the script:

/* --------------------- clip and save ---------------- */
//ListSrch JOB Echo=no
Database Search DD=Rules OUTLIM=3000 f=mail
//Rules DD *
S keyword= IN LSTOWN-L
* change KEYWORD to a real listserv keyword, keeping the equal sign
index date.8 sender.30 subject.40
print
/*
//  EOJ
/* --------------------- clip and save ---------------- */

>  c.  With summer here, how do "postpone" notes to subscribers so that they
>remain subscribed, but simply do not received mail during the postponement
>period?  This is helpful so that those using the REVIEW command are still
>able to "see" the subscribers.

This is in the NETTRAIN document ...

SET listname NOMAIL

>  d.  How do you set up the archive database?  When I did INFO DATABASE
>the returned message indicated that this was not available.

This relates to NOTEBOOK= keyword and the listserv-maintainers
configuration for same.  Some of this may be in the new listserv-
owner's memo.  Also e-mail [log in to unmask]

INDEX LSVOWNER

and issue GETs against those files for more description.

>  e.  Is there a way for me to edit the entire subscription list so that
>I can go in and not only add and delete subscribers, but can also modify
>such things as individual subscriber settings (eg the results of SET).

That's a list-owner function.  (GET LISTOWNR REFCARD)  Try

SET listname opt opt opt FOR userid@node

userid@node can be wild-carded.  Either before or after (or both) the
@ sign

>For example, if I have 10 people who I want to set certain options for,
>in Listprocessor, I would GET the subscriber list, edit it, and PUT it
>back.   Can I do this with LISTSERV?

You could, but that would be a mistake to do so since the options are
encoded.  That's what there is the list-owner SET and Query commands.

>Q:  Anyone have any experience with using LISTSERV's strategy of assigning
>subscribers to sub-domains as a way to enhance efficiency?  For example,
>if we have several subscribers in Germany, I understand that we should
>consider setting up a sub-domain in Germany and have the Germany subscribers
>become "hosted" off that sub-domain so that the Main domain simply sends the
>notes to that sub-domain which in turn routes the notes to the various users
>in Germany?

This is pretty much built-in to LISTSERV techology and it is generically
call the LISTSERV Distribute Algorithm.  You might see reference to
DIST2 in some of the literature -- same thing.  The algorithm is
controlled by a "host" of configuration files, over-rideable by the
the local listserv maintainer.

Yes, peered lists can be setup.  Each independent site that runs
a current copy of LISTSERV would need a license (I don't really
know L-Soft's licensing agreements).

>Q: (related to previous) If we go with the sub-domain strateg, does this mean
>we have to purchase another copy of LISTSERV.  And, are there any
>compatibility
>problems between operating system -- VM/CMS and others which can also run
>LISTSERV?

There is something called the LISTSERV Distribute Backbone.  These are
sites offering "free" (to you) distribution services.  There are a
couple of hundred such sites.  LISTSERV attempts to conserve network
bandwidth (at the expense of CPU) by using multiple LISTSERVs to
"explode" the mail steams to their closest peers.  This is done
recursively.  In fact running an additional LISTSERV backbone site could
help.  This would require more analysis than I can do.

>Q:  Suppose the name of the list is ABC.  New subscribers are told they can
>issue a INDEX ABC command which will then return to them ABC FILELIST.  As
>they look at the ABC FILELIST, they will see ABC NOTEBOOK.  If they
>subsequently GET ABC NOTEBOOK, they will be for quite a surprise since,
>although we have only begun to test, then ABC NOTEBOOK file is becoming
>a large file (by email reader standards).  This is almost as bad as a mail
>bomb!  Any thoughts?

NOTEBOOKs can be maintained in yearly, monthly, weekly, or per mail-item
"chunks."  Further, the GET command supports (I think) a segmenting
size.

>Q:  The list manager (guy who maintains all the lists) told me about using
>some JCL streams at the beginning and end of any requests for services.
>Question:  Is this a standard practice?  It seems a bit unweidly for the
>novice subscribers to have to include "mystery code" embedded within their
>notes.

Only for those mail user agents that insist on putting prolog and/or
signatures on every mail message.  E.g., some VMS systems.  For most
MUAs, in my experience, this is not a problem.

>Q:  Has anyone played around with the JCL code and found some to be more
>efficient than others?

Perhaps when database searching, which your version might not support at
this time.  Full text searching is less efficient than seaching fields
that have been automatically indexed: sender, date/time, subject.  This
assumes that your "know" them and that a useful subject: has been
provided in the original.  (Plug: I co-operate the LDBASE-L list
that discusses Searching.)

>Q: On issueing certain commands, I get a returned message asking me to include
>the command AD PW (or something to that affect) before I issue my request.
>Since I'm a co-owner, why are they asking me for a password?  I tried
>including
>the pw=the_list_password but LISTSERV insisted that I go back and ADD PW, why?

I don't completely understand where and when PW are required, but this
is for your protection when going across a network.  Various PW= or
"magic cookie" requirements can be set by the list-owner.  See the
discussion elsewhere in the list-owner's manual and within LSTOWN-L.

>Closing comment:  My inclination was to tell the Pentagon to forget about
>LISTSERV and go with the free MLM versions out there.  However, the FAQ

How's the support for those freebies?  Who you gonna call when you've
got a problem (bug-busters?).  What contractual agreement do you have
with those vendors?  How has that software been improved this passed
year?  Where do discussions take place on actually managing your list
and subscribers?  How do you search the archives for Q&A/FAQs?  Why are
some lists gatewayed into/from Usenet with LISTSERV technology (but not
other MLMs)?  Do other MLMs offer the broad spectrum of listserv-owner
options such as moderation/editorship, notification of subscription,
automated bounce handling, generic addresses for owner and error
messaging, the Generic List eXchange via listserv.net?

(Heck, if things get really bad, you can drive from the Pentagon to
L-Soft's USA office.  ;-) )

--  co-owner INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
[log in to unmask]        "I get paid by the Byte"        +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. --   Penn State    -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA