"s.merchant" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 11:51:00 EST
I asked in an earlier message why, for a user with
        From: <[log in to unmask]>
and
        Sender: ADVOX Gateway <[log in to unmask]>
why listserv attempted to subscribe the postmaster address instead of the
one in "From:".

"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]> replied:
>I don't think it is the SENDER field that LISTSERV is trying
>to SUBSCRIBE, just the FROM field, had the SENDER not been
>POSTMASTER userid!  POSTMASTER is a no-no for a SENDER when your
>list's keyword is:
>
>* FILTER= ALSO,POSTMAST*@*

This may explain some if it, but not all.  Firstly, I don't have a
Filter= postmast*@*, and it's not in the default filters for the site
either since (for better or worse) I do have some legitimate postmaster
addresses in the list.

Secondly, it truly DOES subscribe the [log in to unmask] address instead,
which appears only in the "Sender:" field!  I got the confirmation
message for [log in to unmask], and the person who was trying to
subscribe did indicate that her postmaster had to unsubscribe himself
3 times as the result of her (unsuccessful) attempts?

Is this a bug in Listserv 1.8a?

Shahrukh Merchant