Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 20 May 1998 14:56:18 -0500
>As to WWW searching, well, a dbase search on SEARN is much more to my
>taste, thanks anyway. Something I've never figured out is why a list needs
>a "web presence." Are there really that many people out there who aren't
>interested if they can't point 'n click?  Even if it is a "professional
>discussion group" and they can get the service nowhere else?
>
>Douglas

To answer your first question first, their probably are.  Many people
simply do not wish to learn to dal with any sort of shell environment,
whether it be a Unix shell of some variety or a OpenVMS DCL, or whatever.
Heck, I know several people who are afraid to go into DOS on a regular PC
because they don't know what to do when they get there or even how to get
back to windows.  Taking this into consideration, one must build there
product to support the greatest number of the people who will be using the
product.  As a result, you will always be keeping people out if you do not
have a graphical interface because some people will be fearful of using
anything but that interface.  Of course, there are others of us who much
prefer to see exactly what we are doing, and for us, there is the option
of issuing commands directly to listserv via e-mail.

Glenn