Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:27:43 -0500
The following message was posted to the UNISOG list and is reposted here
with the express permission of the author. The message specifically refers
to majordomo lists, however, the vulnerability is not product-specific. Any
list, hosted on any mailing list management product, can become a vector for
the spread of an email-borne virus, if the list owner does not take
appropriate precautions to prevent such incidents.

One way to reduce the likelihood that your list will become a vector for
the distribution of an email-borne virus is to implement confirmation on
posting, i.e., require an explicit confirmation from the apparent sender of
a message before that message is posted to the list. This is independent of
any type of moderation that may be in effect on the list.

To implement confirmation on posting on your list, simply add the "confirm"
operand to the "send=" statement.

Examples:
        * Send= Editor,Confirm
        * Send= Editor,Hold,Confirm
        * Send= Private,Confirm
        * Send= Public,Confirm
        * Send= Service,Confirm

See http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/owner/appendb.html#keySend for
additional information about the "Send=" keyword statement.

Paul Russell
Senior System Administrator
University of Notre Dame