"David W. Baker" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 16:25:16 GMT
   I recently received a Spam from Syllabus Press, *again*. Last time, in
November, they were using [log in to unmask] This time, they have their
own hostname, and were using [log in to unmask]
   First, a question: LISTSERV's anti-spam feature correctly flagged this
post, bounced it back to [log in to unmask] and sent me a copy. However,
LISTSERV still posted the darned thing. Anyone know why?
   Second, I figured that mailing [log in to unmask] wasn't going to
be too productive, considering their thoughtful responses the last time
they did this. So, I did an nslookup and found that best.com provides
their access. (On the best.com WWW page, they make it very clear that
spamming is an abuse of their service.) So, I complained to
[log in to unmask], cc:ing [log in to unmask] Below is the message
I got from best.com. syllabus.com has been silent so far.
   I mailed the below individual back, explaining how Syllabus Press has
already done the same thing using a different service provider.
   *sigh*

--dwb--

---------------------begin forwarded message------------------------------
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 20:30:58 -0701
From: Matt Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] (David W. Baker)
Subject: Re: Inappropriate post to Games-L

:        The following message was addressed to the mailing list which I
:own, Games-L, and was sent by one of your users. This is clearly a "spam,"
:that is, an attempt to flood a single, unsolicited post to newsgroups or
:mailing lists not related to your post. On Games-L I make it very clear
:that such posts are inappropriate.
:        I hope that action will be taken upon this matter, and would
:appreciate any information you might give me about how to help avoid these
:problems in the future.
:
:Sincerely,
:
:David W. Baker
:Games-L List Owner
:...

    Yup.  I've informed syllabus.com of the inappropriateness of their
    posting.  If you have further problems, please email [log in to unmask]
    or [log in to unmask] and I will take additional action.

                                            -Matt

    Matthew Dillon   VP Enginering, BEST Internet Communications, Inc.
                    <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
    [always include a portion of the original email in any response!]

David W. Baker | [log in to unmask] | <URL:http://www.netspace.org/users/dwb/>