Sun, 6 Feb 1994 19:41:00 -0600
This topic hasn't come up for a while, and since I have gotten a lot of
these recently (I usually send them back to the senders and tell 'em to
clean up and resend the message), I want to emphasize for new list owners
what Nathan Brindle is talking about.

> LISTSERV will reject any mail that has a "Sender:", "From:", or "Reply-To:"
> field included in the body of the message UNLESS another character (typically
> ">") is placed directly before the "Sender:", "From:", or "Reply-To:" keyword.
> Thus, ">From: [log in to unmask]" will work, while "> From: So-And-So
> @HisNode.Bitnet" will NOT work.  (In the middle of a sentence, they work
> fine--it's when LISTSERV thinks they're header lines that they don't.)

The quoted message, if it includes lines from the header of the original
message, must be in the format >Send  not > Send  .  Note that in the first
instance there is no space between > and Send, but there is in the second.
In my experience, the latter form will cause the message to be bounced to
you as an error, while the former will not.  Those who have mail systems
which have the latter system and include headers in quoted mail must
edite the quoted mail or it will turn up as an error in your mailbox.
At least, that is my experience.  Note that the quote system used by
my system puts in a space (see above) but it does not include any of the
header so there is no problem, except wasted screen space and bandwidth.
If I've got any of this wrong, I'ld appreciate being told.

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner