Fri, 11 May 2001 21:06:15 -0500
On Fri, 11 May 2001, Michael McNeil wrote:
> In many countries (Canada, which follows the Berne Convention), the time
> period is, I believe, 50 years after the end of the year of death of the
> author execpt in the case of "moral" rights (rights of association,
> credit) which extend from 50 years after death.

Yes, silly of me, I know it is 50 years.  I was likely thinking of the 100
years which publishers can claim under the Berne Convention (the U.S.  is
also a signatory).  As to lists having their own copyright, and
listowners, moderators, editors having theirs, I simply didn't go into it.

The listowners of my lists (two per list, always the same two per list,
listownership will never be transfered until death or incapacity) do claim
a copyright to the extent of granting or refusing permission to use the
material of those no longer subscribed who cannot be located when the
material is wanted for a scholarly journal; authors who can be located
speak for themselves.  All my lists are semi-moderated, and I am always
the editor.  Most items go through unseen, some go through with my
approval, a few are rejected, and some I actually edit (I do have the
facility to edit approval (OK) items and still post the items as from the
author, these are easily identified in the archives).  The ones which I
actually edit have, besides the copyright of the author, my copyright as
editor.  I don't know if it is correct or not, but we maintain that the
host site is the publisher and as such may claim a secondary or tertiary
copyright.

Fortunately, we've never, so far, had to test any of this in court, and
I would just as soon not.    Douglas