"Matthew Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Jan 1993 18:10:58 EST
I think I might have a nightmare of a problem on the horizon, and you folks
might have the knowledge to help.  I recently searched LSTOWN-L archives
for answers and came up dry.

I have just been informed by our postmaster that Listserv@uottawa and
[log in to unmask] will not be operable soon.  The postmaster
did not volunteer this info.  I had to ask.  It seems that BITNET will
be shut down across Canada soon.  RSCS communications will no longer
be maintained at this site as early as this summer.  The postmaster tells
me that RSCS communication is necessary for listserv to be maintained
and updated here.

My problem is a little project called The PSYCGRAD Project (PSYCGRAD,
PSYGRD-D, PSYGRD-J, and bit.listserv.psycgrad).  For the past year and
a half, my lists here have grown to a subscription number of ~620, and
acts as the most widely distributed communication standard among psychology
graduate students.  It seems that we may soon be shutdown.

My questions are:
1. Any suggestions on how to maintain the list after uottawa looses RSCS
   communication?
2. Is there a version of Listserv which does not require this protocol?
3. We currently operate CMS/VM.  Any other software that you might recommend
   that is as good as Listserv - can interact with the Listserv community?

After collectively we have all logged thousands of hours working on The
PSYCGRAD Project, this news is nightmare-ish.  Can anyone help or provide
suggestions?  Thank you all in advance.

 | _  l  _  * Matthew Simpson          * BITNET:                      |
 |  \_l_/   * School of Psychology     * [log in to unmask]        |
 |    l     * 145 Jean Jacques Lussier * INTERNET:                    |
 |    l     * Ottawa, Ontario K1N 8P5  * [log in to unmask]    |