Paul Karagianis <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:27:47 -0400
On 11 Jun 2001, at 10:29, Randy Klumph wrote:

>I have been receiving the following  subscribe attempts
>originating from the same server (cyberia.net), but with different
>usernames each time. All have been rejected.  Obviously it is someone
>getting setup for a major spam.

It ain't obvious to me.  I've lost track of how long this has been going
on, but I'm guessing upwards of 8 or 10 months.  I got hit with 182 of 'em
Friday, which I forwarded without comment back to postmaster and abuse at
cyberia.net.LB.  I used to provide single copies with polite explanations
of what I thought was going on, but have never seen any trace of a pulse
at what appears to be the equivilent of AOL.com for camel-rapers.  My
take on this is that some user there put together a bulk-subscription exec
for the purpose of letting other idiots conveniently mail-bomb random
netters by bulk subscribing them to multiple lists, a'la that effing
KaBoom exec so many of us had to suffer through a few years back.  I'm
a bit reticent to pursue it aggressivily since the thing is obviously
broken, does no damage here beyond annoying me, and the last thing I want
is for someone to thank me for pointing out the problem so they can FIX
it!
                                                -Kary