MIKEHOLLOWAY <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 15:32:35 -0500
On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, Eric Thomas wrote:

> I'm  sorry,  but   I  just  don't  understand  the   logic.

Oh please Eric.  Have a heart.  You're not addressing anything in my
message.  I'm in this only as a volunteer for a worthy cause (ie. my
list).  At the very least it should be acknowledged that forcing me to do
more work is not being fair.  Perhaps I should have added that we're still
using 1.8a, so the 1.8b spam intercept does not apply to us, and
purchasing 1.8b is out of my hands.  The previous setup was working for
us.  The majority of the spam aimed at us, e-mail spam, was blocked.  At
least a portion of the Usenet spam was being automatically taken care of
by the cancelbots.  Now I'm given the choice of opening up my list to
e-mail spam, or volunteering more of my time to administering my list.
I don't know for certain if either of these two choices would be worse
than we what had before, or too burdensome for me.  What I do know with
certainity is that this is not an improvement.  That's all I'm saying.
If I leave my list "subscriber only" the advantage of having a gateway is
negated.  It's only a little removed from copying the newsgroup postings
one at time, pasting, and mailing them to the server.
Please, Eric, no one is criticizing you.  I, and the rest of us, rely on
you for making this business work.  Even if you don't understand it,
please just accept this as a point of information from a lazy listowner.
I'm only opening my yap because it seemed to me that the implications
weren't being appreciated, and in the hopes that there was some solution
I was overlooking, or unaware of.

Mike Holloway