Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Aug 1995 23:22:13 -0400
On Tue, 8 Aug 1995, Natalie Maynor wrote:

> > With a single account, the same effect could probably be created by using
> > filters to direct mail into different boxes (the commercial version of
> > Eudora can do this, for instance).
>
> Yes.  This strikes me as even easier than logging into different accounts.
> I use regular Unix mail with the elm filter program.  I get nothing but
> personal mail in my regular mail space.  All list mail is filtered into
> files for each list, and all error messages are filtered into an errors
> file -- which I change from a filename to 'delete' if I'm leaving town.
> I also sometimes change filter rules to 'delete' for lists instead of
> setting 'nomail'.

  Just to expand on Natalie's mail (Hi Nat!) for those who are on unix
systems with access to elm.

1. In your .elm directory create a file called 'filter-rules' (without quotes)
2. In this file use #to comment, i.e,

# for my list abc

if (sender= abc@addr) then save '/home/path/to_your/directory/abc_list'

The next step is to create a file called ".forward" (without quotes)
which will invoke the filter program (and save a record of errors for you)

Your .forward should contain the path to the filter program (left) and the
file to write errors to (right): (quotes required on most unix systems)

"|/usr/local/ucc/bin/filter    -vo /usr/path_to/home_dir/userid.filter errors"

If anyone tries this and has problems, feel free to send me e-mail.

I find this facilty useful since I have not been able to get the FILTER_ALSO
option of listserv 1.8b to work, so I use the 'serve userid@addr' off
command along with a filter to delete the error msgs.
Filter works with sender, from, to, and subject....and supports, delete,
save, copy, and forward keywords in a "if (condition) then" format.

Hope this helps some.

Trish
- -------